Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Matt's Birthday Weekend



After last year's huge surprise birthday weekend at the Shack Up Inn for Matt's 40th, anything that I planned this year would never compare. I had to let myself be ok with that. We had tickets to see Ben Folds for awhile, so that was going to be the "party" this year. We met up with Joey and Whitney for dinner at The Second Line in Overton Square. We all love that restaurant, so it was an easy choice. We all enjoyed dinner and the listening to Matt and the waitress give one another a hard time through the whole meal.
We ran a little late getting to the concert. We walked in when Ben was on his second song. We all really loved the show. We just wished he had played more.


It was fun to run into Clark and his wife at the show. We actually saw quite a few people we knew there.
Clark said, "Last time we did this was what, 2005?"
I corrected him, "Nope, 2004."
We knew that because Clark and Matt went to see Ben in Nashville on a fall night in 2004.
Insert Story Here:
They had planned to stay with one of Clark's friends up there after the concert. I was home alone, dealing with my blood sugar being too high for another day. I couldn't figure out what was going on, and I kept talking to Brodie. We had given up on getting pregnant a couple of months before, but I still had some pregnancy tests in the cabinet. I decided to take one, and low and behold, it was POSITIVE. I was so taken aback that I didn't know what to do.
Matt had our one and only cell phone at the time (a silver Samsung flip phone), and I just started calling and calling and calling. I knew he was at a concert and couldn't hear it, but I didn't give up.
Matt said at one point he took the phone out of his pocket and had 17 missed calls. Yep, that was me.
He called me, and I told him.
He was just as surprised as me.
He asked Clark if it was ok to go home after the concert, and sweet Clark said, "Sure."
He got in about 2:00 in the morning and hugged me, and we were SO happy.
So Ben Folds is part of Trent's story.

We spent Sunday, Matt's actual birthday, taking it easy and enjoying family time as much as we could. I made him the traditional Italian Cream Cake.

He wanted pasta for dinner, so I made Baked Ziti. And now Matt can't act like I'm a year older for a few months (because now we are the same age again - 41).

No comments:

Post a Comment