Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Some things fill your heart without trying...

February 12, 2016
This date brings tears, pain, sorrow. We had to say goodbye to our beloved Brodie last year on this date, and I cannot even begin to describe my pain, much less the pain of Matt and the boys. Dogs truly are man's best friend. Brodie was our first child. Matt will fully admit that he wanted to take Brodie back after his first night with us because he whined and kept us awake. He ended up sleeping in the bed with us that night and every night from then on. Also, Brodie became Matt's dog. If you were looking for Brodie and Matt was home, you knew that Brodie was curled up next to Matt. I was often jealous of Matt, but I think Brodie knew that I needed attention. He slept cuddled up on my back every night, many times with his head on my pillow.

We had to let our sweet boy go because he was suffering, and it was the hardest thing that I have had to do.



Rest in Peace, Brodie Bruce Gatewood
March 18, 2002 - February 12, 2016

Fast Forward to June 6, 2016
We had been to the Humane Society. We had been surfing the web and looking at rescue organizations for a small dog. Every dog that we found had issues with children or were biters. I was getting frustrated, and I saw an ad in the paper for two Yorkie puppies. I showed Matt. He said no. I waited...
Then he asked me if I had called to ask about the puppies. No, because you said not to...
So the next day I called. I set up a meeting. I made Matt go with me. We were only going to look and maybe get ONE. We did not need two dogs. We played with both puppies for a LONG time. The girl was sweet and loved belly rubs. Matt had always wished for a dog who loved belly rubs because Brodie did not like them. The boy puppy was shy and hid from us a lot. We had to pull him out from under furniture. I thought the girl was the best choice...
Then Trent said, "But we can't leave him. They belong together..."
That's all it took for Matt to start the negotiations. Fast forward half an hour, we were the proud owners of TWO puppies.

We discussed names on the way to the house and liked Enzo after Enzo Amore, the WWE wrestler. That's why we needed a boy. ;) The way home we discussed all kinds of choices and decided on Dobby (after the house elf in Harry Potter) for the girl. I said that if we added Lou, it sounded like a girl's name. So Dobby Lou came to be. They have kept us very busy, but the main thing is that they filled an empty space in all of our hearts. Remember that I chose Dobby and Matt chose Enzo. Well, the pups chose the opposite. Dobby is Matt's dog, and Enzo is mine. It is so nice to each have a companion, and we look forward to many adventures with our crazy pups.





Welcome to Dobby Lou Gatewood and Enzo Amore Gatewood
Born March 16, 2016

1 comment: