Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mother's Intuition Part 2

Well, it has been another busy week around our house. Trent moved up to the 4's Room at daycare on Tuesday. Matt had his surgery (the big V) on Monday and spent the week recovering. I did my usual work plus Matt's for most of the week. That was TOTALLY exhausting. I have a wonderful husband who helps out a lot around the house, and I did not realize all the little things until this week when he was unable to do them. I had to keep detention on Friday. That is always NOT fun, and doing it on a Friday makes it much worse!

All of that brings me back to title of my post. Jack woke up at about 4 AM on Friday morning, so I got up to deal with him. I fed him a bottle, and he would not go back to sleep, so I was up for the day (the same day I had detention - poor kids).

Then on Saturday morning Jack woke up at about 3 AM. I fed him a bottle and decided then that I would take him and Trent to the Saturday Clinic at his doctor's office. Trent woke us up pretty early, so I asked Matt to watch them until 8 (to give me some more sleep). He woke me up, and we got the kids ready.

I loaded them up at 9 and headed to the doctor. When I got there at 9:20, I signed in and saw that we were numbers 31 and 32 on the list. It was going to be a long morning. We sat down, and Trent was good and quiet for a little while. I looked in the diaper bag and got out his Penguin toy (Batman) and showed it to him. He was happy and started playing in the corner of the packed waiting room. Then he had to use the potty. We loaded up and let him use the potty. Then when we got back in the waiting room, there was more room in the front so we found a new place. Overall, Trent was very good. He played and kissed Jack and talked to me. There were some other kids there being very difficult, and I was lucky that Trent didn't follow suit. Anyway, we got called back at about 10:25.

The doctor looked at Trent first. He listened to his chest and said it sounded like he swallowed a whistle. He had the croup. Then he checked his ears. He had a little fluid on one. Then he checked Jack. His chest sounded ok, but then he looked at his ears. One was great. The other had a bad infection - 2nd one in a month. He prescribed Amoxil and Prednisone for both of them, but told me to hold off giving the Prednisone to Jack until he really had the croup.

On the way out, Trent got to pick a sticker for himself (a transformer) and one for Jack (Winnie the Pooh). I mention this because I thought it was VERY sweet of him. He could have picked an Incredible Hulk or another transformer for himself, but he thought of what Jack would like. Sweet, huh?

Then we loaded up in the car and headed to Walgreens. I dropped off the prescriptions and then took Trent to Howard's Donuts since he was so good at the doctor. We bought several donuts and donut holes and headed back to Walgreens. We picked up the meds, and then I went through the McDonald's drive thru for Trent's lunch. All of this before noon.

I had hoped to be lazy all weekend, but I followed my mother's intuition this time and I was right. They were both sick. And, in case you didn't know... Prednisone will make your kid bounce off the walls - literally. Trent hasn't stopped moving since he started taking it. Thank goodness it's only for 3 days!!!

So, I am telling all of the mothers out there. If you have a gut feeling - it will probably be right! Do what your gut says because God blessed us with those feelings for a reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment