Thursday, February 26, 2009

Not My Day.... Heck, Not My Week!!

Each day it seems to be a little worse. Jack had a clean bill of health on Monday. I have been following doctor's orders, but he still has a snotty nose and congestion. Trent started the week off great with MUCH less whining and doing as he was told. He is slipping down the hill again. He has cried and whined a lot tonight.

On the way to the doctor on Monday, I looked down at my speedometer while driving down Houston Levee Rd, and it said I was going 90 mph. I freaked out thinking that my blood sugar was low, and I was really doing 90. Wrong. My speedometer is broken. I never know how fast I am going, so I just pray that I am "guesstimating" correctly. A speeding ticket would really top off my week!

At school the language arts teachers are under scrutiny because of grade distribution. Yep, you guessed it! I am a language arts teacher. I have had administrators in my room twice this week. I have to turn in my lesson plans and all of my assessments. AND, I know that someone at the school board is peeking into my gradebook (they're online) and judging me without ever stepping foot in my classroom.

I have tried to have a good attitude about all of this, but today has been a rough day. First, Jack woke at 5 AM. Well, my alarm clock goes off at 5:45 and those 45 minutes are important to me. :( Then I headed to school. I had a decent morning, but after lunch things went downhill fast. We are reading the novel Farewell to Manzanar in my classes. I always walk around the room while we read, and I sit in empty student desks. I sat down in the back of the room by a male student. He asked to go to the restroom while we were reading and I let him go, not thinking about why he couldn't wait until we were done. He came back, and I started reading one of the more difficult paragraphs. When I was about halfway done, he bent over and threw up everywhere. Three times. I stood up and walked to the hallway and told him to go to the restroom. I pushed the call button and asked for assistance ASAP. Of course, my classroom was in an uproar by then. The kids were grossed out. I was grossed out. It took a little while for the custodian to make it to my room. He used the stinky sawdust junk and then mopped my floor. It was nearly impossible to finish class during this process.

I had another class after that one. I had every student clean the desks with Clorox wipes. Then I sprayed Febreeze to help the smell. I was going to work for a while after school, but the thought of what happened in my room and the smell sent me heading home earlier than I wanted. I went home, stripped down, threw my clothes in the washer, and took a hot shower. I didn't want to pick up Trent and Jack with any germs on me. I was late picking them up, but I think it was a good idea to try to keep them away from the germs.

So, as you can see, I have had better days. I took an Airborne a little while ago, and I am glad that tomorrow is Fun Friday. I can wear jeans, and hopefully, I can get some things accomplished before leaving tomorrow. Please join me in crossing your fingers that all of the stomach bug germs have left my room by the time I return in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Joan - I am SO sorry you've had a rough week! I can only imagine what it would be like to have a 7th grade boy (who was NOT my child) throw up in close proximity to me! You deserve combat pay!

    Only one more day until the weekend. NOW...aren't you glad that we COULDN'T come this weekend! Maybe you can just chill!
    Fran

    ReplyDelete