Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Poor Sick Jack-a-roo




These are from 2 different days since Jack got sick. It makes me so sad. :(

Well, it has been constant sickness in the Gatewood house in 2009. I have to credit Airborne for my health so far. Every time I start feeling a scratchy throat or stuffy nose, I down some Airborne and feel better.

However, my poor kids can't seem to get well. Jack woke up on Sunday with a fever. When I checked his temp, it was 103.9. I immediatly gave him some Tylenol and told Matt to get dressed to take him to Urgent Care. Before they walked out the door, I called to make sure it was open. They weren't. They didn't open until noon.


He can't even keep his eyes open in the high chair to eat something. :(

We put Jack back down and let him sleep until about 11:00. Then Matt got up and gave him a bottle while I showered and got ready to take him. When we arrived at Urgent Care, the waiting room was PACKED. We waited for over 2 hours, and in that time Jack's fever came back. By the time we got back to triage, his temp was over 104 and his heartrate was over 200.

We did get lucky in that Dr. Ellis (his primary doctor) was the doctor on duty at Urgent Care. They gave Jack some Motrin and had me give him some Pedialyte. Then Dr. Ellis checked him out. Both of his ears were infected. They also took some blood to check for other infection.

We finally made it out by about 3:30 and headed to Walgreens. We got his antibiotic and a couple other necessities. Matt stayed home with Jack on Monday, and his fever kept coming back during the day. I stayed home with him today, and I was hoping that his fever would subside. Well, that didn't happen. Now Matt has to stay home with him again tomorrow. It has been really rough on us. I don't need to miss school because of my limited number of sick days. Matt is really busy at work, and it's hard for him to be out too.

Matt is going to call Dr. Ellis in the morning and check to see if there might be something else going on with Jack. I will let you know if we find anything out.

By the way, at his daycare, the infant room has only had 2 kids there each day since Friday. They have a total of 8 enrolled. Whatever this is seems to be bad. :(



Look at that pitiful face!

4 comments:

  1. Oh - This just breaks my heart. He is just pitiful!

    Tomorrow will be a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad for Jack:( Those pictures break my heart, too, Fran! I hope he is feeling better and that his blood work came back okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are so pitiful. Bless his little heart! Matt said he is back to school. I'm so glad. I hope you guys get some very much needed rest this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joan! My name is Holly Thrailkill, it used to be Holly Parker, and I grew up with Matt. We were raised together! We went on family trips together, celebrated holidays together, we were very close! I have the opposite at my house. My husband is outnumbered by me plus our three girls, aged 9, 7, and 5. We were recently involved in an automobile accident where Graceyn, the youngest, and I were hit by a drunk driver coming home from dropping off my oldest two at school March 25, 2008. I recieved internal injuries as well as crushing both of my legs. Graceyn recieved a spinal cord injury that has left her paralyzed from her waist down. We have survived only through intense community support and prayers. Doctors have given Graceyn a 5% chance of recovering any movement or sensation below her injury, but we are hopeful that with new technology she will walk one day. I love seeing your boys! They look so much like the Gatewoods! If you would like to see my girls my site is www.babyhomepages.net/thrailkillfamily

    ReplyDelete