Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Bad Day

Let me begin this post with a little background.

When I started weaning Jack, I started to feel pain in my hands. I thought that I had gotten Carpal Tunnel from using my new iPhone too much. I wore braces and took Naproxen to help with the pain. Then the pain started to move to other body parts - hips, ankles, and feet. I had an appointment with my endocrinologist, so I mentioned my symptoms to him in passing. He did some blood work and told me to go see a Rheumatologist. He gave me a name, but when I called they said the first open date they had was February 16. Can you believe that? Someone in pain and needing some help - wait 3 1/2 months for treatment please.

So I called around and found a doctor in the UT Medical Group that could see me in just a few days. I went in and she did a thorough exam. They took 5 vials of blood, and then I headed to the hospital for x-rays. After about 50 of those, I was on my way. They scheduled me to come back on Dec. 3.

Well, I got a call last week from the nurse, and she said that the doctor wanted to see me before Dec. 3, so they scheduled me for Nov. 19.

That brings me to today.

I went in for my appointment at 9:40. I had to take Jack with me, so all of the office staff and nurses made over him. I ended up waiting almost an hour before seeing the doctor. When she came in, she went over all of my bloodwork and x-rays with me.

My bloodwork showed that I don't have Lupus. That I am very happy about!! However, my bloodwork did show that I had a high rheumatic inflammation (arthritis), and a second test showed that it was VERY aggressive. She said that the good news is that my x-rays show no damage yet from the RA. I have been put on Methotrexate (a chemo drug), Prednisone, Folic Acid, Calcium, and Vitamin D.

Now if you know me well, you know that I HATE taking medicines. I don't even take meds for headaches until they are unbearable. Well, now I have 5 meds added to my already full routine.

The doctor says that it looks like I have an issue with auto-immune diseases. I have diabetes (type 1), hypothyroidism, and now RA.

All I can ask is that you please pray for me and hope this treatment works well. I just want to be able to tie shoes and unbuckle seatbelts without pain everyday.

The doctor's only other concern is that I DON"T get pregnant again. The meds I am taking are not made to be taken during pregnancy. Luckily, Matt and I had already decided that two sweet boys were enough, but it is still concerning that I am taking something that would be poison to a fetus. I have had a very emotional day, but as I wrap my head around everything, all I can say is that I am so happy that my children are healthy and don't have to deal with any of these issues. God wouldn't give me more than I could handle. I just hope everything is under control when I go back to work on Dec. 19 (my 10th wedding anniversary).

3 comments:

  1. Joan I always pray for you and your family. I will make sure to put some extra prayers in. You are a very strong person, and you are right God never gives you more than you can handle. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Love Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan hang in there. I have to take immuran for my Ulcerative colitis. That is a class 4 with birth defects so I had to do my home work before I got pregnant with sarah. It took a lot of work but I did it and now I have sarah. We can do anything we put our minds to, My idea of life is God did'nt make any family perfect and ours is our health issues. We have great husbands and are finincal stable. Good christians, So I Just FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT. We all have BAD days and good Days NEVER give up because the disease will win. I will keep you in my prayers, Love Ya Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joan,
    I enjoyed sharing the pics of your boys with my girls. They are so cute. I shared your entry with David's mom and she is going to share it with her church group. We are sadden to hear the news and will keep you in our prayers.

    Take care, Bridget, David, Rachel and April

    ReplyDelete