Monday, December 15, 2008

Our Mini Vacation

My story begins on Wednesday, December 10...
I woke up in the middle of the night because Jack was fussing pretty badly. I went to make him a bottle and listened to him as he begin coughing/barking like a seal. Right then and there, I decided to keep Trent home from daycare and take both of my boys to the doctor.
I got up with Matt at 6:30 and started my preparations. I showered, got Trent dressed and ready, and then I fed Jack and clothed him. We headed out to Collierville to see Dr. Ellis. Luckily, it didn't take very long there. Dr. Ellis gave Jack some medicine for Croup, and he gave Trent some of the blue cough medicine that he has had before. When Dr. Ellis asked Trent if he liked the blue medicine, Trent replied, "No. It's sour." Of course, Dr. Ellis said, "At least he's honest," with a smile.
We were headed back towards Lakeland by 10 AM. I dropped Trent off at school, so that I could get more done faster. By this time, Matt had called to tell me his 3:30 meeting was cancelled and he could leave whenever I had us packed up. After dropping Trent off, I ran to Walgreens and dropped off their prescriptions. Then I headed to Target. I bought the necessities for the trip there, picked up the prescriptions at Walgreens, and went home to begin the packing process.
I worked very diligently packing and was able to get away from the house at about 2:30. We ended up in Jackson by 7, and I only forgot 2 things - Jack's bathtub and Trent's measuring cup for medicine. Not bad considering....
Thursday, December 11
We woke up to sleet and snow. You can read details in my previous blog about the whole snow thing. We eventually got on the road about 1:30. It was crazy to see the snow get deeper and prettier the farther south we went! It was amazing. We made it to Dauphin Island at about 7 PM.

The house we stayed in (on Dauphin Island)

Emily had supper waiting on us. It was a baked chicken stuffed with crawfish and rice stuffing and creamed spinach. It was delicious. We enjoyed visiting and looked forward to the next day.
Friday, December 12
We got up pretty early for vacation - about 9:30. We ate pancakes for breakfast and then started getting ready for our day. We rode the ferry over to Foley to do some shopping.

Matt and I on the ferry to Foley

At this point, I have to say an iPhone is AWESOME! We used it for everything. We found a place to eat seafood using it. We had a yummy seafood lunch. Then we headed to the outlets. We got some Christmas shopping done, and then we headed back to Dauphin Island via land. We stopped for some Starbucks and laughed and enjoyed the ride back. We went through the tunnel which was kinda cool. Once home, Emily's other friends had just arrived. Emily started cooking homemade crawfish etoufee which was so good. We stayed up and played some Rock Band and cards.
Saturday, December 13
We got up early and went for a walk on the beach and collected sea shells for the kids. We enjoyed being outside exploring. Matt found a dead porcupine fish and poked it with a stick - such a boy behavior. ;)

Matt and his fish
Everyone found sand dollars which made me want to find one too. I searched and searched. Then on the way back to the boardwalk, Emily hinted about one on the ground that I picked up. Then within 30 seconds I found 2 more. Once back at the house, we decided to go out for lunch. We used my iPhone again to find a place. We went to the Topless Oyster Raw Bar and Grill. It was a local joint that we loved! It was great. Everyone ordered oysters except me. We enjoyed a long, long lunch full of laughs and fun. Then we went back to the house. For dinner Emily made homemade vegetable soup and cornbread, another yummy meal.
Sunday, December 14
We headed back to Jackson. We picked Jack up in McComb, and then we went to Matt's parents' house in Jackson. We took Trent to see Bolt in 3-D which was fun.
Monday, December 15
We headed home and watched weather reports showing an ice storm about to hit Memphis. Now we are just decompressing and waiting to see if this weather will hit. I hope it misses us because I have a doctor's appointment in the morning that I would really like to make. I hate rescheduling stuff....

No comments:

Post a Comment